Gareth Jones

[bas relief by Oleh Lesiuk]



Stop Press


Complete Soviet Articles & Background Information


Précis of Gareth's Soviet Famine Articles


All Published Articles




Tell Them We Are Starving




Eyewitness to the Holodomor



More Than Grain of Truth



Manchukuo Incident





'Are you Listening NYT?'  U.N. Speech - Nov 2009


Gareth Recognised at Cambridge - Nov 2009


Reporter and the Genocide - Rome, March 2009


Order of Freedom Award -Nov 2008


Premiere of 'The Living' Documentary Kyiv - Nov 2008


Gareth Jones 'Famine' Diaries - Chicago 2008


Aberystwyth Memorial Plaque 2006





Scholarship Fund


Site Map




Legal Notices


Sponsored Links



moved to action and decided to send out troops in pursuit and it was they who found the British journalist’s body, today [Friday].  Though the ransom money had been offered in full, the bandits seemed curiously obdurate and had begun moving by rapid stages towards the Chahar-Jehol frontier.


Emissaries from the Chahar Government reported that the bandits refused to accept the ransom offered … The Chinese and British authorities confessed themselves baffled and when the bandits were inside the Jehol border in Manchukuo, it was hoped that the Japanese authorities would have been able to secure Gareth’s release.4  

Saturday 17th August – The Daily Telegraph: 

Verification of the reports are intensely difficult here [Kalgan], owing to the international situation.  The Japanese authorities discount the report of the death of Mr Jones, and though unaware of the facts, said that the bandits who were holding him were last seen southeast of Kuyuan, many miles from the Pao Ch’ang district.  Moreover, the Japanese asserted that the bandit chief had every reason to preserve Mr Jones in safety.


In Peking, despite the absence of identification, it is regretfully concluded that the body which was found is that of Mr Jones.  

Monday 19th August - The Daily Telegraph (sub-headline from their special correspondent):  

News held up for four days 

I was the first to receive confirmation of Mr Jones’ death.  Although the Chahar authorities knew of it four days ago, they withheld the news from Lieut. Millar; the British Attaché here, until I had enlisted the help of Mr Hashimoto, the Japanese

4  Also reported in:  the London Evening News, August 16th, Manchester Guardian, August 17th.

The Tragic End.

Previous Page

Purchase Book

Next Page


Original Research, Content & Site Design by Nigel Linsan Colley. Copyright © 2001-17 All Rights Reserved Original document transcriptions by M.S. Colley.Click here for Legal Notices.  For all further details email:  Nigel Colley or Tel: (+44)  0796 303  8888